Six dead as suicide bombers storm Afghanistan’s state broadcaster

Workers transport a body of an employee of state television after gunmen attack in Jalalabad. —Reuters
Suicide bombers stormed the national television station in Afghanistan’s Jalalabad city on Wednesday, killing six people as gunfights and explosions rocked the building with journalists trapped inside, officials and eyewitnesses said.

At least 17 others were left wounded in the four-hour assault on Radio Television Afghanistan, which marks the latest in a string of attacks on media workers in the conflict-torn country.

Islamic State jihadists have claimed responsibility for the raid in eastern Nangarhar province, where the US military dropped its largest non-nuclear bomb last month in an unprecedented strike.

“There were four attackers — one blew himself up at the gate, killing the guard.

Three others entered the building but were killed after our security forces fought them for four hours,” Nangarhar Governor Gulab Mangal told reporters.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someonePrint this page