51 or 78 killed in 2016 unrest: Govt dishes out conflicting figures in Assembly

Srinagar, Jan 12 (GNS): How many people lost life in forces action during the unrest in Kashmir Valley following the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Muzaffar Wani in 2016?

While newspaper reports put the toll at 97, the ruling government dished out conflicting reports in separate assembly sessions one year apart.

While Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti, who is the Minister in-charge Home, according to news agency GNS said 78 persons including two policemen were killed in the summer unrest in Kashmir post Burhan’s killing on July 8 2016, on Friday said 51 people were killed.

Interesting, the government last year informed State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) that the kin of the 76 civilians killed by the government forces during the uprising will be provided with compensation.

Mehbooba also revealed in ongoing Budget session in Jammu that 9042 were injured due to use of bullets, pellets and other force. In a written reply to the question of a National Conference MLA, Shamima Firdous, in the ongoing budget session of the Legislative Assembly, Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti said 51 people were killed in Kashmir division from July 8, 2016 to February 27, 2017 in the unrest.

Mehbooba said 9,042 people were injured in firing of bullets, pellets, pava-shells and others during the period. Of them, while 6221 were injured due to pellets, 368 due to bullets, four in PAVA shells 2,449 suffered other injuries. Whether other injured meant ruthless beating did not emerge from the details.

She said at least 782 suffered eye injuries of which 510 were hospitalised while 5,197 cases of pellet injuries were treated at district hospitals and the rest were referred to super speciality hospitals.

Among the 51 deaths as per latest information by the state, the highest number of deaths, sixteen took place in Anantnag district followed by thirteen in Kulgam district, seven in Pulwama of south Kashmir and 5 in Kupwara, four in Baramulla in north Kashmir, she added.

She aid in pursuance of Government order (no. 61-Home of 2017 dated 27/01/2017), a committee has been constituted under the chairmanship of Divisional Commissioner, Kashmir to identify such persons who have been permanently or partially disabled during the unrest.

The committee, she said, in the first phase recommended 54 persons for grant of compensation which has been sanctioned by the Government on 5 January this year.

In 2nd phase, she said, the committee has recommended 10 more cases for grant of ex-gratia relief. “The recommendations have been received few days back and a decision would be taken very early”.

Besides, she said, the Government has appointed 13 persons which include 12 pellet victims and one NOK of the pellet in various departments on extreme compassionate grounds and as an exceptional relaxation of rules. (GNS)